Saturday, November 24, 2012

Broken Heel


     “THE END IS NEAR!”  “REPENT NOW!” the man was yelling in my face.  His breath smelled of spoiled milk and garlic.  His front teeth were missing.  If I wanted to be accosted by religion I would go to a church.

     I’m late.  Ten minutes until my interview and I’m stuck at this crosswalk in front of a crazed religious nut.  Jesus Christ.

     Little white walk figure appears.  Walk faster people, gez, just because you don’t have to be somewhere doesn’t me I don’t have to be.  I’m gonna be late.

     I walk up Main Street at a fast pace. Eight months after graduation and still no job.  Maybe this will be my lucky day.

     I enter the Bradford building.  The interview was short.  It was okish.  I was asked short, crazy questions.  “What animal do you want to be?” and “What if you see a coworker steal?”

Bird and report to the boss.  They said they will call me by the end of the week.

     Time to finally head home, job-hunting…ugh.  I stumble as my heel breaks from the bottom of my right heel.  “Dammit!”  I know I can’t afford a new pair.  I don’t have a job, yet.  I knocked the other heel off by banging it on the side of a brick building and hobbled home disgracefully…still unemployed.

     I didn’t get the job.

     It may have been a huge ass mistake, but I needed the money.  I can hear the people talk.  Dean’s list college grad on the pole!  I can see the shame on my father’s face, if he were alive.

***

This was written in class at school.  I had to just sit and write starting with action.  It's not what I wanted to write and I don't know how it ended the way it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment